This all stainless steel, dual-evaporator system was designed to separate and purify up to 8 mt/hr of Bisphenol-A (BPA) from a complex mixture including isomers, acetone, and water. The system consists of a flash evaporator with reboiler, a Luwa evaporator, a recovery column, and multiple overhead condensers.
Subsystem from Complete Bisphenol-A (BPA) Plant Stock #600363
BPA Distillation System Process Flow Diagram
In this design, the product feed is preheated and fed to the BPA Evaporator which is 2.3 m (dia) x 3.8 m (tall). The evaporator has a demister pad on the overheads and operates at 230°C and 0.009 bar-absolute. The evaporator overheads go to a condenser rated for 1.0 MM kcal/hr which condenses the majority of the BPA (8,000 kb/hr). The un-condensed vapors continue on to two more condensers; the isomer condenser and the freeze condenser where BPA isomers and acetone are condensed.
The bottoms from the BPA Evaporator recirculate through a reboiler rated for 1.3 MM kcal/hr. A side-stream from the bottoms flow continues to the Luwa Evaporator. This evaporator is 1.2 m (dia) x 3.1 m (tall) and operates at 200°C and 0.009 bar-absolute. The bottoms from the Luwa Evaporator are fed to the BPA tar handling section of the plant (not shown but available). The overheads from the Luwa Evaporator feed the recovery column.
The BPA Recovery Column is 0.8 m (dia) x 4 m (tall) and operates at 200°C and 0.009 bar-absolute. The column bottoms drain back to the Luwa Evaporator. The column overheads go through a small condenser where the remaining pure BPA is condensed. The non-condensables continue on to the freeze condenser.
This BPA distillation system includes the following major components:
• The BPA Evaporator feed pre-heater is rated for 0.2 MM kcal/hr with 28.8 m2 of 316 stainless steel tubes. The shell is constructed of carbon steel. The tube side is rated for 13.5 bars at 350°C and the shell side is rated for 10 bars at 350°C.
• The 316 stainless steel BPA Evaporator has a 304 stainless steel jacket. The vessel is 2.3 m (dia) x 3.8 m (tall). The vessel is rated for 1.1 bars at 343°C and the jacket is rated for 6.4 bars at 343°C. There is a demister pad located in the upper section.
• The BPA Evaporator reboiler is rated for 1.3 MM kcal/hr with 91.8 m2 of 316 stainless steel tubes. It was constructed in 2004. The shell is constructed of carbon steel. The tube side is rated for 7 bars at 340°C and the shell side is rated for 10.5 bars at 340°C.
• The BPA Evaporator overhead condenser is rated for 1.0 MM kcal/hr with 143 m2 of 304 stainless steel tubes. The shell is constructed of carbon steel. The tube side is rated for 7 bars at 275°C and the shell side is rated for 5 bars at 275°C.
• The Luwa Evaporator is a type KH-600-S SAKO jacketed horizontal thin film evaporator constructed of 316L stainless steel. It is 1.2 m (dia) x 3.1 m (tall) with 6 sq. m. of surface area. The vessel is rated for 6.4 bars at 350°C and the shell side is rated for 1.1 bars at 350°C. It has a 22 kW drive motor.
• The 316L stainless steel recovery column was built in 1980. The packed column is 0.8 m (dia) x 4 m tall. The column is rated for 1.1 bars at 315°C.
• The recovery column overhead condenser is rated for 0.04 MM kcal/hr with 14 m2 of 316L stainless steel tubes and a 316L stainless steel shell. The tube side is rated for 6.8 bars at 315°C and the shell side is rated for 1.1 bars at 315°C.
GET IN TOUCH
Call us at (609) 586-8004 or CONTACT US